Saturday, December 21, 2013

Dave Ramsey...... hmm.

I took some advice from my Aunt Pauly. She read Dave Ramsey's book, even attended some of his classes. She told me it changed her life.
I didn't really take this to heart until I got my life back on track. I decided to make this new year beneficial in several aspects of my life, one being becoming debt free.
So, I bought Dave Ramsey's book, "The Total Money Makeover."
It was very inspiring. Here I thought I was drowning, only to read that people with much more debt than I are now debt free.

So, Dave Ramsey has "baby steps" to follow. The first one involves planning, and creating a budget. I did that last night. Its really a slap in the face when you have to write down and actually LOOK at all of the debt you have accumulated. I cant imagine what it would be like to have more than 3 credit cards. The 3 I have all had very low limits, $200 to be exact. At the time, I was mad.. wondering why they wouldn't give me higher limits. Now, I am extremely grateful they didn't. Aside from my house, my car, those 3 small credit cards and 2 bank loans, we are doing well. My problem is that I spend money ALL the time. I am a sucker for a discount. So, while I am at work, if I happen to find a good deal, I buy it. I am going to have to learn to stop that.

I made a budget. I made a plan. I cannot wait to start crossing things off of my plan as I pay them off. I am also excited to see how much money I can save this year.
I placed a jar on top of my dryer to place loose change. I just started putting away 50-100 bucks each check into a savings. I am going to pretend I do not have that money, though.

Dave Ramsey said to start paying off your smallest debts first. So, I made a list of them with the amounts owed. I will pay off my first debt with my next paycheck.

I also made a list of all of my monthly and quarterly bills. (Quarterly being my HOA payment.)

I have a plan, and I will stick to it.

Here's to becoming debt free in 2014!!!

1 comment: